To apply for a standard single-entry or double-entry student visa you must provide:
- An invitation to enter the Russian Federation issued by the Federal Migration Service of the Russian Federation; or
- A decision from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation to issue a visa; or
- A letter from the Russian academic institution;
- A foreign passport containing at least 2 blank pages for visas, valid for a period of 1.5 years from the date the visa becomes valid;
- A visa questionnaire completed on the website visa.kdmid.ru, printed and personally signed by the applicant;
(When selecting the location where you are going to submit your documents, you must state the Visa Centre where you intend to submit your documents)
- A colour photograph measuring 3.5 x 4.5cm with a light background, with a clear full-face image of the applicant, in which the person is not wearing dark glasses or any headgear (with the exception of persons who, due to their nationality or religious affiliation, are allowed to wear headgear in their passport photo);
- A medical insurance policy, valid on the territory of the Russian Federation and covering the entire duration of the visa, except in cases based on reciprocity;
- A certificate confirming that the foreign national is HIV-negative, if the applicant is applying for a visa for a period of over 3 months;
- A copy of a valid Swiss residence permit (it is not required, if you are nationals of the USA and Lichtenstein).
For children under 18 years of age:
- Copy of the birth certificate.
- If a child travels alone or is only accompanied by one parent: an authorization (in German or English) and signed in front of a notary public by the parents/the parent who is not travelling is required (original).
- Copies of the valid Russian visas of the parents travelling together with the child, if the parents submit their applications not at the same time.
Please note! The consulate may require additional documents before issuing a visa, invite you to an interview or extend the time required for consideration of your visa application.
Payment of the consular and service charges may be made at the Visa Centre.
Please note! If you are not a national of Switzerland, you need to provide the following documents:
1. Swiss permanent residence permit which is valid for more than 90 days and is required from the nationals of the following countries: Albania, Bahrain, Venezuela, Haiti, Egypt, Ireland, Lesotho, Libya, Macedonia, Mali, Mexico, New Zealand, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Sierra Leone, Equatorial Guinea, South Africa, Japan.
According to the national legislation the documentary evidence for the permanent stay in Switzerland for more than 90 days can be a student visa or work visa, a work permit, a short-term residence permit, a limited residence permit etc.
2. Swiss unlimited residence permit or other equivalent document are required from the nationals of the following countries: Algeria, Angola, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Georgia, India, Iraq, Iran, China, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Ruanda, Syria, Somali, Chad, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia.
Rates and terms
These tariffs are valid for citizens of Switzerland, Liechtenstein and the European Union (excepted citizens of Ireland and the United Kingdom) in case of submitting the full package of documents
(excluding shipping time)
|in case of applying at the Visa Centre||in case of sending documents by post|
|single-entry/ double-entry visa|
|10-12 working days||98 CHF||141 CHF|
|5 working days||153 CHF||186 CHF|
|2 working days*||253 CHF||Check the possibility of issuing visa with an operator|
*Attention! Not all types of visas can be issued in 2 working days.
The decision whether to issue or refuse to issue a visa is taken by the Consular institution. The Consular institution may also invite an applicant to an interview or extend the visa processing time.
Important to Know
Standard student visa issued to citizens of Switzerland, other countries or stateless persons entering the Russian Federation for study purposes on the basis of an invitationfrom the Federal Migration Service of the Russian Federation (FMS of Russia), on the basis of a decision by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (MFA of Russia).
Student visas are either single-entry or double-entry, and are valid for 90 days.
The visa may be subsequently extended by the FMS of Russia at the place where the foreign national resides and is based, for migration records, by issuing a multi-entry visa for the duration of the study contract, entered into in accordance with the educational legislation of the Russian Federation, but not by more than 1 year for each subsequent visa.
Please note! The tourist’s medical insurance policy must contain:
- the date when the agreement was signed;
- the policy number;
- the full name of the insured;
- full details of the insurer;
- the policy must cover the entire period of stay in Russia for single-entry and dual-entry visas, and the duration of the first trip for multi-entry visas;
- a list of medical and medical-transport services provided for, including repatriation;
- the territory must be Worldwide, the Russian Federation, or Europe including Russia;
- the signature of the insurer.
Insurance policies and confirmation letters which do not contain the information above and standard forms stamped by the insurer will not be accepted.